Welcome

Glad you've stopped by to read my thoughts. Hope you'll post a comment or tell me where to find your blog spot!

Friday, July 3, 2009

Marking Time

How do you mark the times in your life? I think this would be a good party question. Do you know what I mean by party question? These are the questions you think up in front of the mirror while you are getting ready to go someplace where there will be people you don't know well but maybe would like to get to know. A party question can get people talking without having to regurgitate the usual tidbits like where they work (risky these days since so many people are out of work) or if they have kids (not always a comfy spot during a party). I love a good party question because you can put it out there and see what happens. "So, Mary, how do you mark the different times of your life?" With my luck, Mary would take one look at me and say, "Um, I need more dip for my chips. Please excuse me." But in spite of the Mary-types out there, I still think it is a thought-provoking question.

How do I mark the times of my life? Over the past three years as I have continued to update the memorial website for my deceased hubby, Brad, I have realized how much music marks the times of my life. I have always been a music-loving gal. My parents played all types of music in our home. I was allowed to have music in my room and to play away on the piano (not well but with joy) just about anytime I wanted. Then I married a young man who sang like a song bird, and music was the way he took up residence in my heart. He did in fact name our first child Melody!

How do I mark the times of my life? When I became a mom, music filled the days and provided an almost clock-like service. You would have usually been able to know the time of day in our home by the type of music playing. Quiet music to start the morning. Nursery music to sing to the babies during play time. Hymns and Bible songs on the piano after lunch while everyone settled down for a nap. Spirited Rocky/Eye of the Tiger style music blaring loudly for house-cleaning chores and Barry Manilow, Captain & Tenille or John Denver for "daddy's home" and dinnertime. After the kids were in bed, we might listen to some great harmony from the Beach Boys or the Sons of the Pioneers unless we were watching a movie.

How do I mark the times of my life? Movies and music are strongly linked since our other shared passion was movies especially old ones. And movies have some of the most beautiful music ever written. The love scenes and the drama all take on so much depth for me when scored by a beautiful or exciting melody. When I was updating Brad's memorial website this week I was struck by how much music I have lived and loved to that was composed by John Barry. In fact, the title of this blog is from one of his most romantic movie scores.

How do I mark the times of my life? I love it that the Creator of all things including time has seen fit to provide such a variety of beauty in this world. I know some who mark the times of their life by where they've lived, what jobs they've had, what world event was taking place, what vacation or trip they took or by what some other person was doing as part of their life whether their child, parent or spouse. For me, it is music. Every place I've lived, every job I've had, every significant event whether good or bad, is marked by the music of my life. Sometimes the music is linked to a movie, but always, there is music.

How do I mark the times of my life? One of the most poignant things about Brad's death and marking the times of my life with music is the knowledge that every new song that I hear now is not a shared song, not a shared memory being built with someone who also marked his life by music and by sharing that music with me. This has been a difficult adjustment, but yet, the music is still there and God uses it to comfort, bless, uplift and fill me with wonder and joy and even energy!

How do I mark the times of my life? Music, music, music! And someday I'll hear the heavenly hosts singing and then nothing else will matter! Thank you, God, for music!

So --How do you mark the times of your life?

4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful post, what a treasure to learn things about you I didn't know, and how beautifully you put your thoughts into words! I'm going to have to think about this question. I know my answer isn't the same as yours...but you've provided me food for thought. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to have to go get some more dip for my chips! But I'll be back...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so excited to find your reply! I look forward to reading whatever you discover Mary, er, I mean Linda! Thanks for reading my thoughts. I never really expected to find a comment by anyone so it was fun to arrive here today and find a post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What beautiful thoughts! I love the idea of playing different music at different times of the day. Daniel and I want to give that idea a try!

    When I first considered your question, I thought that I usually mark time by events. You know...births, deaths, marriages, job changes, moves, etc. But that seemed too boring! Then I realized there are very definite scriptures associated with certain times of my life...when I married Brian, when I quit my first teaching job, when we decided to have a baby, when I had postpartum depression. However, there are many other times of my life that have not been marked by scripture that should have been. I think the outcomes of those times would have been much more positive. Perhaps I should say my goal is to mark time by scripture. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Melinda. I was wondering if the Lord gave you a scripture for this marking of time as you and Daniel watched all the children around you return to school (read this on your blog site)? Love you. Aunt Pam

    ReplyDelete